Thursday, August 11, 2011

A-t-t-i-t-u-d-e-s

A – Always make today my best day 

This is the day the LORD has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24


We may have used this verse out of context in the “A” of our acrostic, but let’s step through the W.O.R.D.

Dear Heavenly Father thank you for everything you have given us.  Even in these times of trouble, You are faithful.  Please help me understand this text and help me find application in my life and for others.  In Jesus name, Amen.

Psalm 118 is considered a hymn of thanksgiving for saving us from our enemies.  Depending on when you think the Psalm was written would determine who the earthly author was.  Many believe that King David was the writer.  In this view, the entire Psalm could be viewed as a victory over a hard fought battle.  Others would say it was written for the Feast of Tabernacles for deliverance from Egypt and victory over the Canaanites.  Others would say it was written for their return from Babylon.  However, all would agree that the Psalm foreshadows Jesus.

The Psalm starts off with a call to Praise God, with the congregation replying “His Love Endures Forever.”  The call is then followed by a king’s (leader’s) song of deliverance from their enemies.  The Psalm ends in the people exalting the Lord.  In this last section lies our verse. 

Let’s examine the Hebrew words for deeper meaning.  Zeh is the Hebrew for “this” or behold.  When you see the word “LORD” capitalized in Scripture it refers to the Hebrew YHWH or Yahweh or Jehovah, the great I AM, our God.  “Made” in the Hebrew is asah or which means accomplished.  Giyl is trembling with fear rejoicing while Samach is glad rejoicing.  Broadening the phrase - Behold the day Yahweh accomplished!  Rejoice with trembling fear and gladly rejoice.  God’s victory in all things has already happened.  So no matter how you feel, rejoice!  God will provide victory in His way.

Adam Clark’s commentary relates the verse as “As the Lord hath called me to triumph, this is the day which he hath appointed for that purpose. This is a gracious opportunity; I will improve it to his glory.” 

Truly, everyday is precious.  Time is a commodity that we can never get back.  Jesus taught us in a Parable in Luke 12,

The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. And he thought within himself, saying, “What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?” 18 So he said, “I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, ‘Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry.’” 20 But God said to him, “Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?” So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

We might not be here tomorrow.  God has given us a limited time in these fleshly bodies to impact the world for His Gospel.  So, no matter what storm you are in.  No matter how bad the situation seems.  “Always make today your best day.”  At this very moment, The LORD has provided the way, the victory.  Seize it.

No comments:

Post a Comment