Sunday, October 28, 2018

Inductive Study: Titus Overview


This week we'll start a study of Titus.  Before we take a look at the book verse by verse, let's examine its background.

Dear Heavenly Father, open my eyes and heart to Your Word.  Help me to put myself and any other distractions aside.  Please be with my family.  Help them be humble and stay in Your will.  I'm so unworthy Lord.  I thank You for all Your blessings.  I'm nothing without You.  In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

Titus is one of the three pastoral letters from the Apostle Paul.  The pastoral letters are 1 Timothy, Titus, and 2 Timothy in that order.  It was written around 63-65 AD.  What do I mean by "pastoral?"  The word began its use in the 18th century.  The word has roots in the Greek and Latin.  In the beginning, the word was "of or pertaining to shepherds."  Here, "pastoral" means a spiritual guide or shepherd of souls.  Paul's three pastoral letters are more personal and intimate compared to the letters to the churches.  They were written to encourage and instruct fellow servants in the faith, Timothy and Titus.  Paul personally lead these two young preachers to  belief in Jesus.  They are his sons of the faith.

Let's examine Titus' life through Scripture.  Galatians 2:1-3 states "Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and also took Titus with me. And I went up by revelation, and communicated to them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to those who were of reputation, lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain.  Yet not even Titus who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised."  In the church at this time, several Jewish members were pushing that new believers had to be circumcised.  This confrontation was handled by the Apostles in Acts.  Acts 15:1-2 states "And certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, 'Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.' Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question."  The church in Jerusalem responded in a letter stating in Acts 15:24 "You must be circumcised and keep the law—to whom we gave no such commandment."  Therefore, circumcision was deemed not a requirement to be saved.

Titus worked with Paul on his third missionary journey.  They traveled to Ephesus and Corinth.  Titus possibly delivered the letter, 2 Corinthians, to Corinth.

2 Corinthians 2:12-13 states "Furthermore, when I came to Troas to preach Christ’s gospel, and a door was opened to me by the Lord, I had no rest in my spirit, because I did not find Titus my brother; but taking my leave of them, I departed for Macedonia."  2 Corinthians 7:5-6 further stated "For indeed, when we came to Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were troubled on every side. Outside were conflicts, inside were fears. Nevertheless God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus."  2 Corinthians 8:6 states "So we urged Titus, that as he had begun, so he would also complete this grace in you as well."

After Paul's first imprisonment, Titus worked with him briefly at Crete.  Paul left Titus in Crete to be his representative and to organize the church.  The letter to Titus are instructions to him on how to accomplish his task.  Paul understood that this would be difficult.  In Titus 1:10-12, he writes " For there are many insubordinate, both idle talkers and deceivers, especially those of the circumcision, whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole households, teaching things which they ought not, for the sake of dishonest gain. One of them, a prophet of their own, said, 'Cretans are always liars, evil beasts, lazy gluttons.'"  Crete is the fourth largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, just south of the Aegean Sea.

Finally, Paul mentions Titus in his last letter, 2 Timothy.  Specifically, 2 Timothy 4:10 states "for Demas has forsaken me, having loved this present world, and has departed for Thessalonica—Crescens for Galatia, Titus for Dalmatia."  Modern day Croatia is where Dalmatia is located.  I look forward to studying this text.

No comments:

Post a Comment