Monday, October 12, 2009

be a man of God

A few years back, I took a management class that asked us what we would want chiseled on our tombstone. The instructor was trying to inspire us to consider how we would be remembered. In a round about way, the instructor wanted us to craft our own personal mission statement. I had difficulty determining my desired epitaph until I read 1 Timothy 6:11, “But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.” My life’s pursuit is to “be a man of God.”

In the Bible, a “man of God” was used to describe Moses, David, Elijah, Elisha, and Timothy. While I would never put myself in their company, as a Christian, I must lead a life without compromise based on the six virtues listed in the verse. My life should be in accordance with God’s values, should visibly demonstrate the values by my works, should show my belief in Jesus, should demonstrate unconditional love, should show my endurance to never quit against opposition to the Gospel, and should always encourage the unbeliever.

The World always looks for Christians to fail. We are held to a higher standard. We are always on an interview. Show them Jesus and “fight the good fight of faith.”

No comments:

Post a Comment