Sunday, October 25, 2009

Walk with Christ

This is the message which we have heard from Him and declare to you, that God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.
1 John 1:5-7

No different than any another institution, business, or organization, the prison system evolved over time to what it is today. During those changes, some of the prison's words became part of our culture and the English language. The Auburn, New York penal method was very cutting age during the 19th century. That system was the first to dress inmates in the striped uniforms. Another new concept was the method used to move prisoners around the facility. The prisoners marched in unison with each prisoner interlocking their right arm with the prisoner in front of them. They stared away from the guards and fellow prisoners. This type of marching was called “lockstep” and was also used as a form of punishment.





Today, lockstep is defined as either “A way of marching in which the marchers follow each other as closely as possible” or “A standardized procedure that is closely, often mindlessly followed.” Another dictionary expands on the definition, “in perfect or rigid often mindless conformity or unison.” When we Christians say “Walk with Christ” - since the world believes that we are intolerant, I believe the world hears “Lockstep with Christ.”

Romans 8:28-30 says “And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren. Moreover whom He predestined, these He also called; whom He called, these He also justified; and whom He justified, these He also glorified.” Between justification (Being forgiven and saved) and glorification (being with God), we Christians go through a process to become the likeness of God. This process is called “sanctification.”

John 17:16-17 says “They are not of the world, just as I am not of the world. Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.” Jesus prayed these words for His disciples asking God to set them apart from the world by His truth or His Word, the Bible. When you believe in Jesus, believe that He died for your sins, believe that the only way to be with God is through Jesus’ sacrifice on the cross, your sins are forgiven and you are saved from eternal separation from God. But you can still sin. Your life has changed and now you begin your discipleship where you learn more about God and how to live. This learning will never end. It is a lifelong journey to be sanctified.

Therefore, when I say my personal vision is to “Walk with Christ,” I want to daily learn how I’m supposed to live but more importantly - live how I’m supposed to live. I do not walk in mindless conformity. I walk a separate way from the world. I walk set apart.  I can only accomplish this walk through Him.  I cannot do this on my own.  He must carry me.




How do I go along this sanctification journey? I pray. I study His Word. I join a Bible-teaching church to help me with my discipleship. I seek fellowship of other believers to aid me on my journey. I share the Good News. “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” (Matthew 28:19-20)

No comments:

Post a Comment